Hull City vs Blackburn Rovers Match Report - 18/8/18

Hull City vs Blackburn Rovers Match Report - 18/8/18

By Alex Green
18 August 2018
Share via

Toothless Tigers Offer Nothing In Loss To Blackburn

Hull City failed to win again in the league as they fell to a 1-0 defeat against Blackburn Rovers. Adkins’ men offered nothing in what was a poor match with Blackburn the dominating side throughout. Chances were few and far between for City but Blackburn could have easily scored more if not for some poor finishing.

Blackburn started the game well and after just seven minutes ran though one-on-one but David Marshall ran out and made a good tackle with his leg on the edge of the box. 
Blackburn were at it again just five minutes later as Kasey Palmer created some space for himself down the right and flashed a ball across goal to Bradley Dack at the backpost but his shot was straight at Marshall from a few yards out. 

After Reece Burke walked off injured in the cup, Stephen Kingsley was the next on the Tigers injury list after Kasey Palmer clattered into him in the air. It didn’t look good as he walked straight down the tunnel after receiving treatment.

Just before halftime Blackburn got the goal they deserved. Similar to the previous chance, Elliott Bennett created some space on the right wing and hit a low cross into the box. Bradley Dack lost his man to tap in the ball at the front post beyond the helpless Marshall. 

It wasn’t until after halftime that City had their own real chance. Jackson Irvine made a marauding run from midfield before playing a quick one-two with Jon Toral on the edge of the area but his shot on goal was poor and straight into Raya’s hands. 

After that Blackburn were back on top with three brilliant chances in the 15 minutes just after the hour mark. Firstly, a pullback from the byline to Armstrong who sliced his shot wide from six yards. Armstrong then had another chance as he ran through and chipped the ball over Marshall to Bennett but he also sliced his shot wide with the goal gaping. Blackburn’s final chance came from ex-Tiger Danny Graham but his headed opportunity from point blank range was straight at Marshall. 

City managed to get back into the game with two very good chances of their own. Evandro whipped in a corner which met Jordy de Wijs’ head six yards out but his bullet header was excellently saved by Raya. City had their final chance of the game again through Jackson Irvine. Todd Kane lifted a cross to the backpost which was met by Irvine but Nyambe made a fantastic block to win Blackburn all three points.

Nigel Adkins and his men will have to regroup and go again after a game where The Tigers offered nothing across the pitch with no real positives coming from anywhere. The injury to Stephen Kingsley will also be a worry but the squad has the depth to cope with an injury in his position.

Man of the Match: David Marshall – Could do nothing for the goal but made a couple of really good saves to keep the score down in a game where Blackburn could easily have scored two or three.


Hull City:

David Marshall
Eric Lichaj
Angus MacDonald
Jordy de Wijs
Stephen Kingsley – Jon Toral (29’)
Jackson Irvine
Markus Henriksen (C)
Jarrod Bowen – David Milinkovic (72’)
Todd Kane
Fraizer Campbell – Nouha Dicko (72’)

Blackburn Rovers:

David Raya
Ryan Nyambe
Darragh Lenihan
Charlie Mulgrew
Amari Bell
Richard Smallwood
Corry Evans
Kasey Palmer – Lewis Travis (67’)
Bradley Dack – Danny Graham (59’)
Elliott Bennett
Adam Armstrong – Joe Rothwell (78’)

Written by: Alex Green

Share via